06-08-08

NewFoundland - L'anse aux Meadows

Gereconstrueerde Viking-nederzetting in L'Anse-aux-Meadows
Gereconstrueerde Viking-nederzetting in L'Anse-aux-Meadows

map

L'Anse aux Meadows is een Viking-nederzetting, gelegen op de noordelijkste tip van Newfoundland. De site werd ontdekt en opgegraven door de archeologen Helge en Stine Ingstadt in 1961. Er lagen minstens 8 gebouwen, waaronder een smederij.

Main 1
De nederzetting stamt vermoedelijk uit de vroege 11e eeuw. De meeste geschiedkundigen gaan ervan uit dat L'Anse aux Meadows de kolonie in
Vinland is die volgens de saga door Leif Eriksson gesticht was, maar anderen betwijfelen dit, en zijn vaak van mening dat Leifs kolonie meer zuidelijk moet hebben gelegen.

Main 2
In 1978 werd L'Anse aux Meadows door de
UNESCO op de werelderfgoedlijst geplaatst. Twee getrouw nagebouwde Viking-gebouwen vormen tegenwoordig een toeristische attractie.

lanse-aux

More In englisch

L'Anse aux Meadows (from the French L'Anse-aux-Méduses or "Jellyfish Cove") is an archaeological site on the northernmost tip of the island of Newfoundland, located in the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada, where the remains of a Norse village were discovered in 1960 by the Norwegian explorer Helge Ingstad and his archaeologist wife, Anne Stine Ingstad. L'Anse aux Meadows was determined to be Norse due to definitive similarities between the characteristics of structures and artifacts found at the site and those of Greenlandic and Icelandic sites from around A.D. 1000

The name "L'Anse aux Meadows" is believed to have originated with French fishermen in the area during the 1800s and 1900s who named the site "L'Anse aux Meduses," meaning "Jellyfish Bay." The modern name is an English corruption of the French name which occurred because the landscape in the area tends to be open, with meadows.

Significance

L'Anse aux Meadows is the only known Norse site in North America outside of Greenland, represents the farthest known extent of European exploration and settlement of the New World before the voyages of Christopher Columbus and John Cabot almost 500 years later, and is the only genuine evidence of pre-Columbian contact between the New and Old Worlds.

L'Anse aux Meadows was named a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1978.

The Settlement

Archaeological excavation at the site was conducted in the 1960s by an international team led by Ingstad and again in the 1970s under the direction of Parks Canada. Following each period of excavation, the site was reburied, in an effort to protect and conserve the cultural resources.

The settlement at L'Anse aux Meadows has been dated to approximately 1000 years ago, an assessment that agrees with the relative dating of artifact and structure types.The remains of eight buildings were located, believed to have been constructed of sod placed over a wooden frame. Based on associated artifacts, the buildings were variously identified as dwellings or workshops. The largest dwelling measured 28.8 by 15.6 m (94.5 by 51 ft) and consisted of several rooms.Workshops were identified as an iron smithy containing a forge and iron slag, a carpentry workshop which generated wood debris, and a specialized boat repair area containing worn rivets. Besides those related to iron working, carpentry, and boat repair, many artifacts found at the site consisted of common every-day Norse items, such as a whetstone, a bronze fastening pin, a bone knitting needle, and a stone oil lamp. Food remains included butternuts, notable since these do not grow naturally north of New Brunswick, probably indicating that the Norse inhabitants travelled further south. Archaeologists concluded that the site was inhabited by the Norse for a relatively short period of time.

In addition to the European settlement, evidence of at least five or six separate native occupations has been identified at L'Anse aux Meadows, the oldest dated at roughly 6000 years ago, although none was contemporaneous to the Norse occupation. The most prominent of these were the Dorset people who predated the Norse by about 200 years.

 Possible connection with Vinland sagas

Norse sagas are written versions of older oral traditions. Two sagas, commonly called the Saga of the Greenlanders and the Saga of Eric the Red, describe the experiences of Norse Greenlanders who discovered and then attempted to settle a land to the west of Greenland, identified as Vinland. The Sagas seem to suggest that the Vinland settlement failed due to conflicts within the Norse community and between the Norse and the Native people they encountered.

While it is not possible to verify that L'Anse aux Meadows is indeed the Vinland of Saga, this remains a possibility, and it is often referred to as such in discussions of the site. Archaeologists tend to believe that the L'Anse aux Meadows site is not Vinland itself, but an exploration base and winter camp for expeditions heading further south to Vinland, which may have extended to the St. Lawrence River and New Brunswick

09:38 Gepost door Hexana in PR New Foundland | Permalink | Commentaren (1) | Tags: canada, provincie, steden |  Facebook |

04-08-08

Newfoundland - Cape Spear ook in het engels nu

Vuurtoren op Cape Spear.Vuurtoren op Cape Spear.

Cape Spear, een kaap op Newfoundland, is het meest oostelijk gelegen punt van het Noord-Amerikaanse continent, gelegen op het schiereiland Avalon in de Canadese provincie Newfoundland en Labrador. De naam is een verbastering van het Franse Cap d'Espoir.

Op Cape Spear bevindt zich sinds 1836 een vuurtoren die thans de oudste, nog in werking zijnde, vuurtoren van Canada is. In 1878 werd er ook een misthoorn geïnstalleerd. Tijdens de Tweede Wereldoorlog werden er kustbatterijen op Cape Spear geplaatst om de konvooiroute tussen Europa en Noord-Amerika alsmede de toegang tot de haven van St. John's te beschermen.

De in de staat van 1839 herstelde vuurtoren wordt beheerd door Parks Canada.

Cape Spear, located on the Avalon Peninsula near St. John's, Newfoundland, is the easternmost point in Canada (52°37'W).

There is currently a dispute as to whether Cape Spear is the most easterly point in North America (Nordost Rundingen, Greenland also claims this title).

The Portuguese named this location "Cabo da Esperança" which means "cape of hope", which became "Cap d'Espoir" in French and finally "Cape Spear".

Cape Spear is the trailhead/trail end for two components of the East Coast Trail.

History

The battery at Cape Spear
The battery at Cape Spear

There has been a lighthouse operating at Cape Spear since September 1836. The original Cape Spear lighthouse was the second lighthouse built in Newfoundland; the first was built in 1810 at Fort Amherst, at the entrance to St. John's Harbour. In 1832, the first legislative assembly for the colony created a lighthouse board. Cape Spear was chosen as the site for a new lighthouse because it was on the rocky eastern coast near the entrance to St John's harbour.

Construction began in 1834. The first lighthouse was a square wooden building with a tower in the middle containing the light. A fog horn was added in 1878. The first light used at Cape Spear had already been used since 1815 at a lighthouse at Inchkeith on the east coast of Scotland. This light used seven Argand burners and curved reflectors. This was later replaced by a dioptric lens system; the light was first lit by oil, then acetylene and finally electricity in 1930.

Because of its proximity to convoy routes during the Second World War, a gun battery was installed at Cape Spear to defend the entrance to St. John's harbour. Barracks and underground passages leading to the bunkers were built for the use of troops stationed there.

A new concrete building was built to house the light in 1955. The original lighthouse building and the light keeper's residence have since been restored. It is the oldest surviving lighthouse in Newfoundland and the location has been designated a Canadian National Historic Site. Cape Spear was also used recently for filming of a hockey game in the Canadian television series, Road Hockey Rumble.

17:21 Gepost door Hexana in PR New Foundland | Permalink | Commentaren (0) | Tags: canada, provincie, steden |  Facebook |

13-03-08

St. John's in Newfoundland en Labrador

350px-Stjohnsnewfoundland
St. John's is de hoofdstad en grootste stad in de provincie Newfoundland en Labrador in Canada. De stad ligt op het schiereiland Avalon van het eiland Newfoundland aan de Atlantische kust. De stad telde in 2001 99.182 inwoners terwijl het met de voorsteden meegerekend 172.918 inwoners telt. St. John's beslaat 480 km2 in oppervlakte.

St_johns

St. John's werd begin 17e eeuw gevestigd door de Britten en groeide uit tot een vissersstad en handelscentrum. In 1665 werd St. John's voor korte tijd veroverd door de Nederlandse admiraal Michiel de Ruyter. Later in de 18e eeuw waren het vooral de Fransen die St. John's meerdere malen aanvielen en in brand staken.

Meer over deze stad op Wikipedia maar in het Engels

07:00 Gepost door Hexana in PR New Foundland | Permalink | Commentaren (0) | Tags: canada, steden, new foundland |  Facebook |

18-02-08

Newfoundland en Labrador

Afbeelding:Newfoundland and Labrador-map.png Afbeelding:Coat of arms of Newfoundland and Labrador.png

Newfoundland en Labrador heeft hoofdstad is St. John's Het is de tiende provincie die tot Canada toetrad. Het heeft een eigen dialect, het Newfoundland English. Het eigen Franse dialect is nagenoeg uitgestorven. Pas sinds 1949 behoort de voormalige Britse kolonie Newfoundland tot Canada.De hoofdstad St. John's telt 99.182 inwoners (2001)

De provincie telt ongeveer 509.677 inwoners waarvan zo'n 95% op het eiland Newfoundland woont. Van hen spreekt 98,5% Engels als moederstaal. De economie van de provincie is vooral gebaseerd op olie en visserij. Olie beslaat zo'n 44% van de totale export van Newfoundland en Labrador en het levert de grootste bijdrage aan de economische groei.

Geografie

Newfoundland en Labrador bestaat uit het eiland Newfoundland, ten oosten van het Canadese vasteland in de golf van St. Lawrence gelegen, en het gebied Labrador, een gebied dat in het noordoosten van het Labrador-schiereiland, dat verder tot de provincie Québec behoort. De provincie Newfoundland en Labrador beslaat zo'n 405.720 km² waarvan het eiland Newfoundland zo'n 27% uitmaakt.

St. John's, Newfoundland en Labrador
St. John's, Newfoundland en Labrador

Geschiedenis

De eerste Europeanen waarvan bekend is dat zij de Noord-Amerikaanse kusten bereikte waren Vikingen uit voornamelijk Noorwegen. In 982 ontdekte Erik de Roode Groenland en vestigde de vikingen daar diverse nederzettingen. Van daaruit bereikten zij enkele jaren later de kust van Noord-Amerika. Eén van de nederzettingen die zij onder onder andere Leif Eriksson stichtte was L'Anse aux Meadows op het huidige Newfoundland.

Deze nederzettingen waren van vrij korte duur en tot de ontdekkingsreizen van Christoffel Columbus was de kennis in Europa over de Nieuwe Wereld verdwenen, of alleen in enkele legenden bekend. In 1497 herontdekte John Cabot waarschijnlijk Newfoundland. In opdracht van koning Hendrik VII voer hij met achttien man op de Matthew naar het westen om een vaarroute naar Azië te vinden. Te Newfoundland vond hij sporen van mensen, maar hij ontmoette geen indianen. Engeland was destijds niet bij machte om het gebied te koloniseren, terwijl de Spanjaarden en Portugezen zich op zuidelijkere streken richtten. Het zou nog 75 jaar duren voordat Europeanen zich er permanent zouden vestigen[2] en het zou nog tot laat in de achttiende eeuw duren aleer er nederzettingen van betekenis in wat nu Newfoundland en Labrador is ontstonden.

Korte tijd na de ontdekking door Cabot begonnen vissers al wel de visrijke wateren nabij Newfoundland te exploiteren. Intussen werd het gebied en de wateren eromheen verkend door ontdekkingsreizigers als Giovanni da Varrazano en Jacques Cartier.

Na de Franse nederlaag in de Franse en Indiaanse oorlog in 1763 werd langzaam maar zeker het gebied meer en meer verkend door de Britten. Vanaf de jaren 1830 werd het achterland van Labrador verkend en in kaart gebracht. Newfoundland werd pas in 1822 voor het eerst te voet overgestoken en pas in de tweede helft van de 19e geheel in kaart gebracht.

Gedurende lange tijd nadat Canada in 1867 gevormd werd, bleef Newfoundland een Engelse kolonie. In 1854 verkreeg het gebied intern zelfbestuur. In 1869 wees de bevolking in een referendum vereniging met Canada af. Na twee referenda in 1948 stemde een zeer kleine meerderheid van de Newfoundlanders in met vereniging, waarna Newfoundland op 31 maart 1949 toetrad tot de Confederatie als de tiende provincie, onder de naam "Newfoundland". In 2001 werd de naam van de provincie officieel gewijzigd in "Newfoundland en Labrador".

Labrador_fullmap
 

Labrador is een regio in Canada, gelegen op het Labrador-schiereiland. Het gebied is het deel van de provincie Newfoundland en Labrador dat op het Noord-Amerikaanse vasteland ligt. Het vormt het noordoostelijke deel van het Noord-Amerikaanse continent en wordt ten westen en zuiden begrensd door de provincie Québec.

Labrador telde in 2001 27.860 inwoners waarvan ongeveer 1/3 deel oorspronkelijke bewoners zijn, voornamelijk Inuit en Innu. Het gebied beslaat een oppervlakte van zo'n 294.330 km2. Het gebied is vernoemd naar de Portugese ontdekkingsreiziger João Fernandes Lavrador die het gebied aan het eind van de 15e eeuw bezocht.

Newfoundland en Labrador Heritage

officielle website

04:15 Gepost door Hexana in PR New Foundland | Permalink | Commentaren (0) | Tags: canada, proviencie, reizen, toerisme |  Facebook |

07-02-08

Link naar labrador

love neufoundland

een link naar labrador

 

 

 

http://www.bitstop.ca/winningphotos.htm

                                   mapnewfoundland